Come build the future of law with us
Working with Theory and Principle means you’ll be working on some of the most exciting products in legal and justice tech. We’re looking for team members with a passion for improving justice and systems of law. Check out our current job postings!
Senior Full Stack Developer (Node/React)
Theory and Principle is looking for a senior Full Stack Developer to join its team in Portland, Maine. Theory and Principle is an industry-leading legal technology product design and development firm, working at the intersection of law, justice, and technology.
This company’s office is on the waterfront in Portland, Maine. While applicants who can work on-site are preferred, we will consider remote candidates.
We’re looking for a individual who can work with a range of clients from non-profits to large, multinational law firms to:
- Assist in technical planning and estimation of development tasks.
- Assist junior engineers in engineering best practices.
- Contribute to requirement gathering and design of new functionality.
- Architect, design, optimize, and refactor code.
- Build out the front-end of custom products and be able to translate wireframes and design into world class web applications.
- Assess current code bases and make refactoring recommendations to improve efficiency and readability.
- Note that we fully understand that most developers have a particular strength in FE or BE. Please note this in your application.
Required skills and experience:
- 7+ years of professional software development experience.
- Strong experience with React (JSX) or equivalent technology.
- Experience with server-side frameworks.
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.).
- Experience building REST APIs.
- Experience working on a team using Agile methodologies.
- Experience with git.
- Comfortable working in a command line environment
- Experience using and interacting with APIs.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Demonstrate past experience through a robust portfolio.
Nice to have:
- DevOps experience (CI/CD, Docker)
- Sysadmin experience (Ubuntu, CentOS, Amazon Linux)
- Familiarity with AWS & Azure
- Automated testing experience (lab, mocha, jest, etc.)
- Familiarity with 12 Factor App methodology
- Experience with ORMs and Query Builders
- Open Source contributions
- Familiarity with React/Redux
Benefits of working with us:
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, dental and vision plan
- A take-as-much-as-you-need/want vacation policy
- An inclusive environment of justice-minded software experts
- A place to grow and learn while working on impactful projects